Hostel Life Can Make You or Break You
Tell me, what can be more thrilling and exciting than the time spent in a hostel or college boarding ?
Based on my own experience, I can say with conviction that hostel life can make a “Man” out of you. At the end of the day, you are no more chicken hearted and fully geared to face the world of reality and cruelty.
Having said this I would like to highlight the following dozen facts or gospel truths that can be identified with or related to hostel life :
- Hostel rules are strict and hence staying away from home in the initial period can be tough & lonely which needs to be overcome as soon as possible
- Sharing your whole time with total strangers with whom you have had no prior contacts or links whatsoever can be one of the most toughest things to face or digest in the initial days of one’s hostel life
- None of your personal stuff is yours anymore ; Whatever was “truly yours” is now “truly theirs” ; Let me exaggerate a bit by saying that you do not even own yourself !
- After having experienced the “not-so-divine” food at your hostel mess (canteen), you are inclined to forget totally what real daal (boiled & cooked gram) looks like and tastes like, because you are now used to “daal less & water more” stuff !
- Because of the “fishy food” available at the hostel mess, you have now ample excuses and reasons to visit fast food joints & small affordable restaurants frequently. I still remember an embarrassing incident wherein I was entering the hostel mess after a long gap, which prompted the canteen manager to ask me if I am an outsider !
- It is a small wonder that your breakfast, lunch, and dinner will mostly comprise of fast foods, Chinese food, Continental food and South Indian snacks which are wholesome, cheap and affordable.
- When you are in a Hostel, you are bound to come up with “innovative” solutions to everyday problems like heating samosas with a hair-dryer and keeping your non-ironed clothes under a pillow or mattress in order to straighten them. After all, necessity is the mother of invention !
- Your room becomes a temporary or makeshift playground for playing cricket, table-tennis, soccer, and hockey !
- You get to see all sorts of unhygienic things and meet all sorts of weird people (hostel mates) who can be either dominating or effeminate or clumsy or sadist by nature. You have to be well prepared for the worst so as to protect your dignity and integrity !
- Studying in a hostel room can be a tricky & uphill task because the moment you make up your mind and sit down with your books, someone or the other will interrupt you. In my own case, there have been countless study nights that were eventually turned into impromptu & unwarranted sessions !
- The biggest joke of living a hostel life is that your parents thought or assumed that you would become more disciplined and organised if you stayed in a hostel but the real fact, to be honest, is that you have broken more rules than ever !
- The best part (bonus) of hostel life is that you are bound to receive extra & special attention at home, to the point of being excessively pampered, when you return home from hostel during holidays and short vacation, as if you have returned from a war or a battlefield !
In a nutshell, living in a hostel or a boarding institution/college is like living in a war zone wherein you come across unknown enemies, unknown adversaries & unforeseen/tricky situations and when you come out of it, you are a totally different person altogether.
Three Cheers & Five Stars to Hostel Life !!!